Tips for skin care
Having diabetes can put you at risk for skin problems. High blood glucose can make the skin dry, itchy and prone to infections.
To help prevent diabetes-related skin problems:
- Keep your blood glucose levels well-managed with the help of your healthcare professionals.
- Keep skin moisturized to prevent chapping and cracking and to decrease the risk of infection, especially during cold, dry weather.
- Avoid taking very hot baths and showers.
- Treat minor cuts right away, washing with mild soap and water and covering with sterile dressing.
- See your doctor right away for major cuts, burns or infections.
- American Diabetes Association. (ADA) – Skin Care. Accessed online Sept 17, 2019
Image by Craig Clark from Pixabay